"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

First Area. . . .Tenosique


Heyy family!
How is everyone doing? I hear that things seem to be going well for you all. Lake Powell seems like it is going to be a lot of fun this week for Labor Day. Have fun with that! I am excited to hear how it goes! Life down here in Mexico is very different... Its kinda like a mixture of life back in the states. It smells a lot like Lake Powell, looks like a mixture of Star Valley and Skuzzville (white city) and then maybe a touch of the regular dump. The people down here are super nice and very intelligent. The children are awesome also. I had the chance this morning to go to the church and play soccer with a couple of them because today is our Pday. They all are pretty amazing. We´re talkin Chandler´s level or better and they are only 10-15 years old. Pretty crazy how quick they are and how fast they move their feet. It was still pretty fun to hang with them and play around with them. They love the piano and are completely amazed when I play Pirates for them. I have no idea why... But its still fun when they say ¡otra vez! ¡otra vez! Its fun to be with them. I am pretty popular because none of the kids here have ever seen an American before... Crazy. So im the fly in the mild here almost... not in a racist way but I hope you understand what I mean.
My companion is cool. Elder Ortiz. He is from Mexico and has been out 22 months. He´s pretty chill and laid back with everything. His spanish is great but he speaks really good English also. He is a huge help to me when we have to teach an investigator.
The area that I am in, Tenosique or Zapata is a really.... different kind of town. Like I said already, it is a mixutre of those areas. Smells like gas almost everywhere you go and you see statues of random people everywhere also. I see homeless people on every street corner also. It reminds me a lot of downtown SLC. Its scary to walk in the streets because cars and taxis dont stop down here... they just keep on going. Its ridiculous. You definitely need to look both ways before crossing any street. We don´t have bikes or cars so it is a lot of walking and we rely on these little three-wheeled cars called Pochiis to take us places. I will try to take a picture of one to send. They are really small and can only fit three people but they are fun to ride around in. I like them a lot. The place that I live is interesting too. Very different than what I am used to and the wheather is too. Its a lot worse than DC was. You can definitely feel the heat once you step outside but it does rain a lot so that is good to cool things down. The umbrella is coming in handy for sure. It was used a lot yesterday because it rained four times, each wave lasting about an hour.... Its crazy.
Thats about it. I am still trying to settle into the lifestyle and stuff because it came  so quickly and I am still adjusting. We dont have that many investigators yet but we are working with the ward to help us out with that. Anyways, I love you all and I hope you are all happy with what youre doing!
¡Te Amo!
Con Mi Amor,
Elder Alex Proctor

No comments:

Post a Comment