"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

Monday, September 2, 2013

Week 2 in Tenosique

Hey Everyone,
I made it another week here in Tenosique, Tobasco! There wasn't much that really happened this week other than we committed a part-member family, Rosa y Jose, to baptism and to live the Word of Wisdom and to live the Law of Chastity. It was a great experience to watch this young couple commit to live these commandments and then to see them accept the invitation to be baptized was awesome. They live in such a small home with Rosas mother who is a member. They have two children and are barely making it because she has some health issues that disqualifies her from working. Her husband, Jose, has to work everyday to support the family. Apart all of that, they seem super excited to be baptized on the 14th of September. The only thing is that they had already committed to baptism once before with the Elders that were before us. So, we only had to make sure they still had the desire to be baptized. We didn't really do that much, but still, it was nice to hear them say that they still wanted to. 

We have other investigators but haven't really had the chance to meet with them this week because they are all so busy with work. We did, however, meet with a less-active member named Renato. He is an older man, about 50 or 60 years old. His eye-sight is not very great and he cant see very far away. He owns a little shop on the side of the road and he manages it all by himself. I have no idea how he does this, but he is a very funny man. He loves to talk and when he addresses me he always calls me Elder Americano because no one here can pronounce my last name. HAHA. Its pretty funny. We invited him to come to church yesterday and to our surprise, he actually showed up with a cane in his hand and a baseball cap on his head, dressed in a polo-shirt and khakis. He is a funny guy! I will try to get a picture of him if I can. 

Those are the only two right now that are making progress. The others are so difficult to meet with because of work and such, but we are doing our best to find times that work with their schedules. Everything is very different here and it continues to amaze me at how simply these people live with the very little that they have. Its a very different kind of life-style and it takes a lot of getting-used-to but at the end of the day, I am become more and more grateful for what I have back home. The electronics, the food, the cars, the schools. It could be worse. I wish  you all could be here to witness this with me because it is truly eye opening. 

Anyways, I hope everything is going well for you back home. I hope Powell was a nice get-away for all of you also. I wish I could have been there. You'll have to send some pictures. Keep strong with school and stay busy. Time will fly by I promise. I love you all so much! I could not have asked for a better family by my side. I know you'll support me through anything. You guys are amazing and I cannot wait to see you all again. 
-Elder Proctor
¡Yo quiero mucho!

No comments:

Post a Comment